Skip to main content
Robert Powers
Yoga Bio

Classes Taught: 1,787 classes in 4 years, 0 months

Yoga Teacher, LA Fitness, West Seattle (January 2017 - August 2018) (356 classes)

• Class size 12-45+. Average: 26.

Yoga Teacher, 24 Hour Fitness, West Seattle (May 2017 - June 2018) (155 classes)

Yoga Teacher, Highland Park Improvement Club (August 2017 - August 2018, weekly) 

Yoga Teacher, Breathe Hot Yoga (August 2014 - December 2016) 
• 60- or 90-minute Bikram style or expanded house Hatha series
• 1,211 classes taught in 28 months
  Three locations. Class size ranged from 1-20. Also taught 3 workshops.
  (Sole employee for most of my classes, frequently opening/closing studio for the day.)
• 2014 in-house Hatha yoga teacher training (300 hours)
• Guru: Amber Borgomainerio. In the tradition of Master Bishnu Ghosh.
• personal study of classic yoga texts and dev. of teaching voice, incl. Sanskrit
• experienced with MINDBODY schedule and purchase system; fastidious cleaner
 
yoga practice
• 2015 USA Yoga Washington men's champion
• 2013 USA Yoga Washington men's champion
  (30th of 32 men at nationals in San Antonio, TX, 2014)
• 2010: began yoga practice at Bikram studios in Vancouver, BC (age 40)
 
I've been a vegan for 13 years, and I ride my bicycle everywhere. Bring your problems to yoga. I brought my scoliosis, spina bifida, desk-job atrophy, and lack of humility. Yoga will transform you if you stick with it!
 
I was an advertising copywriter for 20 years. To train as a yoga teacher, I wrote a 30-page script (including the best lines from my favorite teachers). I read it aloud and edited it again and again. Certification is nice, but practice!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Want to relax. heal and REMEMBER? Try deep breaths (in AND out)

"'Vagusstoff' [the substance released from your vagus nerve] (acetylcholine) is like a tranquilizer that you can self-administer simply by taking a few deep breaths with long exhales. Consciously tapping into the power of your vagus nerve can create a state of inner-calm while taming your inflammation reflex." Simply put, taking some slow inhales and even slower exhales will at the very least calm you down, and at best, help reduce the body's biological markers for inflammation response. Which means, less pain, less stress, less illness. "Healthy vagal tone is indicated by a slight increase of heart rate when you inhale, and a decrease of heart rate when you exhale. Deep diaphragmatic breathing—with a long, slow exhale—is key to stimulating the vagus nerve and slowing heart rate and blood pressure, especially in times of performance anxiety." Breathing with focused aware (mindful) inhales and consciously slowed exhales will help realign your mind body c...

#PPOTD Two-week Recap (from b'yomyoga on Twitter)

b'yom yoga‏@byomyoga Feb 14 #ppotd first day teach yoga #stmadeleinesophiescenter and i'm awash in goodwill. #lifeisgood #inmydharma b'yom yoga‏@byomyoga Feb 17 #ppotd thank your body for all it does, forgive it for all it doesn't, support it growing strong with a positive mind and deep full breaths b'yom yoga‏@byomyoga Feb 18 #ppotd if a friend offers a shared activity - accept! companionship does the heart good (thank you Claire Young) b'yom yoga‏@byomyoga Feb 20 #ppotd @YMCASanDiego open to the public all day today - get your family activities on!! b'yom yoga‏@byomyoga Feb 21 #ppotd never underestimate the power of alone time. b'yom yoga‏@byomyoga Feb 23 #ppotd #worldbeatcenter our school's 1st & 2nd graders were enthralled learning west African drumming and dance - a joy and privilege 2 see! b'yom yoga‏@byomyoga 19h19 hours ago #ppotd never miss a chance to tell someone you care about them

Be Responsible

(adapted from Phase 2 of Transformation from the Transformational Weekend with Deborah Williamson/Wild Abundant Life). What does it mean to be responsible? Let's take the positive side of it, rather than the "I own my flaws, I own my mistakes, I own the error of my ways and my bad decisions." Let's rather, say, I've made choices to be where I am today. I didn't just "end up" here... I followed some sort of inner compass (properly calibrated or not), which bounced me into the trajectories of OTHER people using THEIR inner compasses (also, properly calibrated or not), and so, here I am. But each thing I do from here forward is a CHOICE. Feeling positive about my day (or not) - a choice. Being kind to the customer service rep on the phone when I've had it up to here with my insurance company that is a choice. I own that choice. And if the rep treats me kindly, in part because I was patient and kind despite my frustrated, because i was responsible fo...