Skip to main content

Easy 'Q

Let me start by saying that I know the difference between barbecuing and grilling, and I don't consider propane a fit fuel for either. I have a Weber grill and a New Braunfels barbecue (I've had it so long, that I didn't know they've gone out of business! Apparently it's now made by Char-Broil). My personal record for a single batch is 40+ pounds of pork shoulder, cooked for 16 hours, shredded by hand, and dressed with my own sauce. Wonderful stuff, if I do say so myself.

That introduction is an attempt to hold at bay any purists who will rightly object to calling this barbecue. I will merely suggest that this recipe is an option for folks who don't have a proper barbecue pit or the time it takes to tend one. The product won't technically be barbecue, but it will be good!

Start with some country style ribs. This is a cut of pork that comes from the upper rib end of the shoulder. Dust them with your favorite dry rub, or try mine (see the recipe, below).

Country style ribs, dusted with dry rub
Place them over medium coals, turning them so the surfaces get some color. The aim is not to cook them, just for flavoring.
Flavoring the pork.
Once all four sides are colored, transfer them to your "Grok Pot."

Ready for sauce
Add your favorite barbecue sauce, or try my recipe, below.
Sauced and ready for some long slow cookin'
Put the cover on the crock pot and cook on low for 12 hours, or more.
Done! Ready for shredding and some more sauce
Once they're done, remove them from the pot, pour the sauce into Pyrex or other heat-safe container. You can remove the fat that floats to the top with a spoon or place the container in the refrigerator and remove the fat after it solidifies. 

Enjoy!

Dry Rub

2 Tbsp Paprika
2 tsp seasoned salt
2 tsp ground black pepper
2 tsp granulated garlic
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp dry mustard
1/4 tsp chili powder

Mix thoroughly. I use an old spice bottle as a shaker bottle for applying the dry rub.

Barbecue Sauce

This is the recipe for Memphis Magic sauce from Cheryl and Bill Jamison's  Smoke and Spice: Cooking with Smoke, the Real Way to Barbecue. This is my favorite book on barbecue. If you're only going to own one book on the subject, I think this should be it.

3 Tbsp butter, preferably unsalted
1/4 cup minced onion
1 cup white vinegar
1 cup tomato sauce
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
2 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
Dash of Tabasco or other hot pepper sauce

Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the onions and sauté until they begin to turn golden. Stir in the remaining ingredients, reduce heat to low, and cook for approximately 20 minutes. If you want the sauce thicker, cook longer. Keeps well in the refrigerator. Freezes well, too.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#PPOTD Two-week Recap (from b'yomyoga on Twitter)

b'yom yoga‏@byomyoga Feb 14 #ppotd first day teach yoga #stmadeleinesophiescenter and i'm awash in goodwill. #lifeisgood #inmydharma b'yom yoga‏@byomyoga Feb 17 #ppotd thank your body for all it does, forgive it for all it doesn't, support it growing strong with a positive mind and deep full breaths b'yom yoga‏@byomyoga Feb 18 #ppotd if a friend offers a shared activity - accept! companionship does the heart good (thank you Claire Young) b'yom yoga‏@byomyoga Feb 20 #ppotd @YMCASanDiego open to the public all day today - get your family activities on!! b'yom yoga‏@byomyoga Feb 21 #ppotd never underestimate the power of alone time. b'yom yoga‏@byomyoga Feb 23 #ppotd #worldbeatcenter our school's 1st & 2nd graders were enthralled learning west African drumming and dance - a joy and privilege 2 see! b'yom yoga‏@byomyoga 19h19 hours ago #ppotd never miss a chance to tell someone you care about them

Want to relax. heal and REMEMBER? Try deep breaths (in AND out)

"'Vagusstoff' [the substance released from your vagus nerve] (acetylcholine) is like a tranquilizer that you can self-administer simply by taking a few deep breaths with long exhales. Consciously tapping into the power of your vagus nerve can create a state of inner-calm while taming your inflammation reflex." Simply put, taking some slow inhales and even slower exhales will at the very least calm you down, and at best, help reduce the body's biological markers for inflammation response. Which means, less pain, less stress, less illness. "Healthy vagal tone is indicated by a slight increase of heart rate when you inhale, and a decrease of heart rate when you exhale. Deep diaphragmatic breathing—with a long, slow exhale—is key to stimulating the vagus nerve and slowing heart rate and blood pressure, especially in times of performance anxiety." Breathing with focused aware (mindful) inhales and consciously slowed exhales will help realign your mind body c...

Be Responsible

(adapted from Phase 2 of Transformation from the Transformational Weekend with Deborah Williamson/Wild Abundant Life). What does it mean to be responsible? Let's take the positive side of it, rather than the "I own my flaws, I own my mistakes, I own the error of my ways and my bad decisions." Let's rather, say, I've made choices to be where I am today. I didn't just "end up" here... I followed some sort of inner compass (properly calibrated or not), which bounced me into the trajectories of OTHER people using THEIR inner compasses (also, properly calibrated or not), and so, here I am. But each thing I do from here forward is a CHOICE. Feeling positive about my day (or not) - a choice. Being kind to the customer service rep on the phone when I've had it up to here with my insurance company that is a choice. I own that choice. And if the rep treats me kindly, in part because I was patient and kind despite my frustrated, because i was responsible fo...